The Friends of Yala Swamp (FOYS) is a network that was formed by civil society organizations engaging on matters of environment and natural resources in the yala swamp. Established in 2007, the FOYS brings together twelve (12) organizations that have diverse civic mandate, ranging from environmental governance, human rights, community mobilization and capacity building, advocacy and lobbying. The FOYS currently covers the three districts straddled by the swamp: Siaya, Bondo and Busia.
The FOYS, collectively and through its membership, has extensive experience in direct human rights work, advocacy, environmental justice campaigns, natural resource management, public interest litigation as well as more generally in establishing effective community-based capacity building programmes and processes. It works together with the relevant government departments and also the community members.
The Members of the FOYS
- Institute for Law and Environmental Governance (ILEG);
- Kenya Land Alliance (KLA);
- Ujamaa Centre;
- Kituo Cha Sheria;
- Action Aid-Kenya;
- Community Initiative Action Group Kenya (CIAG-K);
- Kenya Organization for Environmental Education (KOEE);
- Resources Conflict Institute (RECONCILE);
- Seeds of Peace Africa (SOPA);
10. Ugunja Community Resource Centre (UCRC);
11. Bondo Residents Association (BORESA); and,
12. Kenya Wetlands Forum (KWF)